Firstly, our hearts go out to all those affected by the devastating floods around the Country. After the flash heavy rain fall on the Northern Beaches last week our homes were lucky enough to remain largely unscathed with just a little water making it's way into our spaces. However even just that little amount of water in the carpet, a week on still has a funky smell and I have concerns for what might be growing beneath the surface so it has to be dealt with... naturally of course!
This is a simple recipe largely of inexpensive bicarb soda (available at your local grocery store for just a few dollars) and some mould busting clove essential oil and cassia essential oil (from the same family as Cinnamon but much more cost effective) that compliments the smell of clove with its warm and earthy tones.
To dispense the powder onto the carpet, we got creative with one of our 500ml amber glass powder jars and cut a square from a Bunnings hessian sack (this particular one from Bunnings is perfect as the weave is quiet loose, allowing for a good amount and nice even distribution of the powder.) and attached with some twin over the opening of the jar.
What you will need:
- 500ml amber glass powder jar
- Piece of hessian big enough to go over the opening of the jar (see picture). A hessian with a looser weave is most effective to allow a good of powder to flow through it
- Twin, ribbon or rubber band to fix hessian securely to the top of the jar
- 500ml bicarbonate of soda
- 10 drops of clove essential oil
- 5 drops of cassia essential oil
- Place bicarbonate of soda and essential oil into a bowl and mix
- Pour mixture into glass jar and place the piece of hessian on top of the jar opening
- Secure the hessian to top of jar by tying the ribbon or twin around the hessian and the neck of the bottle
- Sprinkle a light layer of the bicarb mix over your carpet
- Leave for at least 15 minutes. The longer the better so the odour absorbing power of the bicarb can do it’s work.
- Vacuum as usual, making sure to vacuum up all the bicarb.
- Enjoy the fresh scent of clean carpet